Thursday, April 27, 2006

Lajos Szalay











Lajos Szalay was born in Őrmező , Hungary in February 26, 1909 and died April, 1995, at the age of 86, in Miskolc, Hungary. He left Hungary in 1946 and went to live in France. In 1948 he emigrated with his family to Argentina and became an art teacher in Tucuman. In 1960 moved to Chile and then to America.Charles Phipps writes:
"A short time later, after settling in New York City, Szalay became a sought-after illustrator of books and articles but, in the decades of Pop and Minimalist Art, never attained a major gallery exhibition. As he said in 1970, "Only drawing suits the aesthetic asceticism I demand of myself." Perhaps, the ascetic outlook of the poet, as well as his acerbic personality, kept him less than well known by all but the American-Hungarian community."
After returning to Argentina and Paris he settled in Hungary in 1986.
Szalay was an extraordinary draughtsman, He influenced a whole generation of Argentinean artists and I modestly like to count myself among them. In a private house in London I saw dozens of his drawings. The original of the one with the yellowish background is hanging in my living room.

7 Comments:

Blogger Elliot Cowan said...

I thought of your own work long before I worked my way down the page to read your comments.
Marvellous that it has been passed to another.

10:46 am  
Blogger Oscar Grillo said...

Even I was surprised to find how much I was!!!

10:48 am  
Blogger Deluria said...

Y algunos rasgos tienen un aire al Picasso de El Guernica, ¿verdad?

2:45 pm  
Blogger Oscar Grillo said...

Es MUY Picasseano!

3:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Los dibujos de Szalay me vuelven loco. Me parece un dibujante exquisito y si tuviera que destacar un rasgo diría que me fascina su libertad.
Gracias, jefe, de verdad.

P.D.: sí, era muy picasseano. Aunque tal vez tenga razón un amigo mío que dice que "todos los verdaderamente grandes acaban pareciendose en algún aspecto"...o será al menos en los que me gustan a mí.

5:57 pm  
Blogger Jorge Noujaim said...

Thanks for showing this Master that was unknow to me.

5:02 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

En mi modesta opinion digo que mas bien Picasso tomo elementos del Maestro Szalay...

10:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home